Launched Discord, and all you see is the Discord Logo Rotating Endlessly with an error message Discord Update Failed Mac? Windows? Or even on your Phone?
And it’s pretty normal to be confused about Why is Discord not Updating?
It can feel like Discord is stuck on checking for updates forever.
But, No need to worry as the backbone of this issue is the Discord installer/update as there’s a bug in the update which causes this issue.
You might have been stuck on this screen/window where the Discord Icon keeps on spinning and reports a failed update.
The upcoming solutions help you in fixing discord and won’t download updates as well.
Why is my Discord stuck on checking for Updates?
There are 3 reasons that can cause Discord stuck on Updating, and it Keeps on Updating Forever.
- The most reported reason is that Discord lacks administrator-level privileges to take some actions and install the latest Discord updates properly.
- Secondly, a network glitch can cause incomplete downloaded updates that discord tries to install and discord update fails to result in a loop.
- A Corrupted/Outdated Cache is also a reason to Fix Discord Stuck at updating.
How do I fix discord not updating?
There are 2 major reasons to fix Why does my discord keep failing to update?
- Restart Router: The easiest fix is to restart your router or switch your connection.
- Restart PC: You should also try restarting your PC/Laptop.
If this doesn’t Upcoming are 3 different ways explained in detail that actually work to fix the discord update loop.
Why is my Discord Update Failing?
The 4 reasons why Discord update failed are:
- Cache Issues
- Corrupted Files
- Network Errors
Just follow these solutions if you are wondering How do I Fix Discord not updating?
2 Ways to Fix Discord update failed Loop on Mac + Windows?
We have compiled a video to fix the Discord Update Failed Loop / Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates issue.
Before trying any other solution,
A: How do I fix Discord Update Failed Mac Loop? [iMac/Macbook]
The infinite discord update loop occurs on macOS as well so you might be facing this issue on your iMac or Macbook.
The best fix is to clear the cache on your Mac if restarting doesn’t help.
Note: Ensure your current macOS version is macOS 10.10.0 (Mac OS X Yosemite) or above!
Solution 1. Clearing Discord Cache on Mac
- Open Spotlight by pressing “Cmd” + “Space” Key
- Type Finder and Go to Finder
- At the top right of your Finder’s Menu Bar, you need to click on View and click on Show Path BarFinder’s Menu Bar, you need to click on View and click on Show Path Bar
- A path should be visible at the bottom of your Finder’s Window
- Click on Macintosh HD
- Next, you need to click the user you are currently logged
- Now you need to view Hidden files because the default settings won’t allow you to view the files we want to access.
To view hidden files on macOS, all you need to do is press “Cmd” + “Shift” + “.“
- Go to Library
- Then Find Caches
- Locate Discord Cache named com.hnc.Discord and com.hnc.Discord.Shipit
- Move it to Bin
- Empty Bin by right-clicking on the Bin icon in your dock and clicking on Empty Bin.
- Restart and check if the error exists.
If the above solution didn’t help, then you need to completely reinstall Discord to fix Discord Update Failed Mac.
Solution 2: Reinstalling Discord on your Mac to fix Discord Update Failed Mac
If clearing the cache and the rest of the quick fixes didn’t help you?
You have one last thing to try: Reinstalling.
Here’s how you can Delete and Reinstall Discord on macOS:
- To ensure Discord is not already running, Close Discord by using ⌘+Q or selecting the Quit option from the dock
- Sometimes, Discord Remains running, so we need to ensure it is closed. Go to Mac’s Activity Monitor and close all discord activities. (Use Spotlight or Siri to launch Activity Monitor)
- Now that all Discord processes/activities are closed, we can delete the discord data on your machine so that any sort of cache glitch is removed and the new installation isn’t influenced by older data.
- We need to clear the cache as we did in the previous solution and Delete the following folder:
- /Library/Application Support/Discord
- Go to your User Folder who installed Discord, and then show in the hidden files, you will locate Application Support Folder
- Delete the Discord Folder and empty bin.
- Restart your Mac.
- Reinstall Discord on your Mac.
Solution 3: Contact Discord Support to fix Discord Update Failed Mac
The above-mentioned fixes have been reported to fix most of the user’s issues, but if you are still unable to update discord on your macOS, and if none of the above solutions worked, then contact Discord support.
Recommended Accessories & Add-Ons
|🛒-Buy Rogue High-Back LED-Lit Gaming Chair Now|
|🛒-Buy Corsair HS70 Pro Wireless Gaming Headset Now|
|🛒-Buy NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 Wi-Fi Router Now|
B: 5 Ways to FIX Discord Not Updating on Windows 11/10
Solution 1: Reinstall Discord by deleting AppData contents as well on Windows 11
Complete Guide To Discord – Everything you need to know!
Most users reported this method has been solved by fixing Discord Not Updating.
Sometimes the solution lies in the app as many features update regularly so why not uninstall Discord and update it by downloading a new version.
Simply follow these steps to Fix the Discord Update Failed Error:
- Go to the Task Manager and End all tasks related to Discord
- Press Windows+R and a Run command box will appear
- Type “appwiz.cpl” in the command box and press Enter
- A Control Panel/Program/Programs and Feature window will appear and look for Discord in it
- After finding it Right-click on Discord and select uninstall
- Hold Windows Key + R
- Type “%appdata% “and press Enter which will show you all the app folder that contains their Contents such as cache
- Locate the Discord folder and delete it. If you can’t find a discord folder, it can be possibly hidden. Select View from the top bar and check the Hidden Items option
- Now install the Latest version of Discord and restart your PC again
- Launch Discord to fix the discord update loop
Solution 2: Run Discord As Administrator to Fix Discord Stuck in Update Loop
So here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the Task Manager and End all tasks related to Discord
- Go to your Desktop and look for the Discord shortcut
- Right-click on the Discord icon and you will see “Run as administrator“
- Click on Run as administrator and after giving the permission
- Discord will launch and the update will begin without any discord update loop issue.
If this doesn’t fix your update loop then reinstalling will help Discord Update Failed Error.
Solution 3: Reinstall Discord to fix Discord Not Updating
This is an alternate to Solution 1 as simply downloading a fresh installer might solve fixing discord not updating/stuck in the update loop issue.
So here are some short steps to Fix Discord Update Failed:
- Visit the Discord website to download the installer.
- Run Discord installer and follow the given on-screen instructions.
Solution 4: Disable Windows Defender to fix Discord Update Failed Loop
So, if you are a Windows 10 user then disabling Windows defender will fix your discord not updating.
As its purpose is to keep your PC virus free which can replace files that are a threat.
Let’s disable them to fix Discord Update Failed Loop:
- Press the Windows key and type Settings and run it.
- Go to Update and Security.
- Now click Windows Security > Virus & Threat protection > Manage Settings.
- Toggle off Real-time protection.
- Save and Exit
- Install Discord again.
Solution 5: Contact Discord Support to fix Discord Stuck On Checking for Updates
The above-mentioned fixes have been reported to fix most of the user’s issues, but if you are still unable to update discord on Windows 11/10, and if none of the above solutions worked, then contact Discord support.
One of these 5 fixes must be able to make your discord back on track and fix discord stuck on checking for updates.
Do leave a comment and let me know which solution best suits you in fixing discord not updating/Discord Stuck on Checking For Updates Forever.
How do I force Discord update?
To force Discord to Update, you need to Press Ctrl+R on your keyboard. This would result in Discord’s user interface reloading and refresh. Any new updates should be detected. Discord shall install them automatically.
Why is Discord 502 Bad Gateway?
502 Bad Gateway error on Discord means that you simply won’t be able to access discord and is due to one of the servers you are connected to. As it is a server-based error, you can do nothing but wait for the Discord team to solve it. Usually, the Discord team is very speedy in this and should be resolved soon.