Did you just try to play a video stream or YouTube video on VLC but you were welcomed with “Your input can’t be opened. VLC is unable to open the MRL” error message?
Then it’s not only you who’s facing this as other users also reported about ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC on Reddit.
So, you don’t need to worry!
because we have 9 easy solutions for you t get rid of Your input can’t be opened. VLC is unable to open the MRL error in the guide below.
What Causes Your Input Can’t be Opened Error On VLC?
Although there are many causes for ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ error on VLC but here are the common ones:
- Invalid Streaming URL
- Corrupt Video File
- Incompatible File Format
- Encrypted Streaming Network
Solution 1: Reset the VLC Preferences
Many users were able to solve the ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened‘ Error on VLC after resetting the preferences.
Important Note: All the VLC settings which you’ve changed will reset and you’ll need to re-do all the changes made when you install VLC.
So, just follow the steps below:
- Launch VLC from the Desktop
- Click the Tools option from the menu bar at the top of the window and choose Preferences.
- At the bottom of the Preferences window click on the Reset Preferences option.
- Confirm the dialog which will appear asking you to confirm your choice.
- Check to see if the “Your input can’t be opened” error on VLC still appears.
If you are still facing the error then continue to the next solution.
Solution 2: Turn Off Windows Firewall On Windows 11
It is very important to turn off the Windows Firewall on Windows 11 when facing ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC.
Also, the YouTube URLs are sometimes blocked by the Windows Firewall.
So, just follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I to open Settings
- From the left menu select “Privacy & Security“
- Under the Security heading click on “Windows Security“
- Privacy & Security > Windows Security window will open
- Select the “Firewall & network protection” option
- Select Public network and public network windows will open
- Find Microsoft Defender firewall
- Click on the toggle in order to turn off the Windows firewall
- User Control prompt will appear and click “YES“
- Now your Firewall is disabled successfully in Windows 11.
And if you are still facing ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC then try the next solution.
Solution 3: Try Using a YouTube.Lau File
So, there’s a YouTube script on GitHub that is helpful in solving the VLC error “your input can’t be opened while trying to open and watch the YouTube videos on the VLC player”.
So just follow the steps below:
- Go to GitHub and copy youtube.lua script which needs to be used for the program.
- Right-click on the VLC shortcut on Desktop or anywhere else and choose the Open file location option.
- Locate the Playlist folder, by pasting C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist in the search box.
- Now rename the text file to “youtube.lua”
- Use the Ctrl + A key combination to select everything inside the document and paste the contents you have copied from GitHub.
- Press Ctrl + S keys to save the changes and check to see if you get to fix Your Input Can’t be Opened Error on VLC.
And if not then continue to the next solution.
Solution 4: Check For VLC Updates To Fix Unable To Open MRL File Error
Maybe you are using an outdated version of VLC leading to unable to open MRL file Error.
So, make sure you have an updated version of VLC:
- Launch VLC from the Desktop
- Click the Help option from the menu bar at the top of the window and choose Check for Updates.
- If there are any updates then follow the on-screen instructions.
And if you are still facing the error then continue to the next solution.
Solution 5: Disable Antivirus
Sometimes the antivirus stops some function that is not harmful to the Mac leading to ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC.
But, the antivirus stops them due to their usual activity or some file looking like a virus. To stop the intervention of antivirus we have to put VLC on the exception list.
Consult your antivirus manufacturer’s manuals or website to get the specific steps for disabling the software.
If you are still facing your input cannot be opened VLC media player error then try Changing File Ownership on Windows 11.
Solution 6: Change File Ownership On Windows 11
If this ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened‘ Error appears only with some videos located on your PC, you should try changing ownership of the videos before trying to run VLC.
So, just follow the steps below to change ownership on Windows 11:
- Right-click on the video that is causing this error.
- From a popup menu, choose Properties.
- Then, go to the Security tab > click on the Advanced option.
- Click the Change link next to the “Owner”
- Select the user account via the Advanced button or just type your user account in the area which says ‘Enter the object name to select and click OK.
- Checkbox “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects”.
- Click Apply > OK to change the ownership.
Now, check to see if the “Your input can’t be opened” error on VLC still appears
And if it does then continue to the next solution.
Solution 7: Reinstall VLC On the Desktop
If you couldn’t fix ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC after changing the ownership then one thing you can try is reinstalling VLC.
As the error could be due to a corrupted installation of the VLC app before so, it’s best you uninstall it and then download a fresh version of it.
To reinstall the VLC app follow the steps below:
- Press the Windows key + R at the same time to open the Run box.
- Then type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Look for the VLC and right-click on it to Uninstall.
- Go to VLC’s official website and download the latest version.
- Once complete, run this executable file and follow the on-screen instructions to finish.
- Now launch VLC and you should be able to watch your favorite videos without any errors.
And if this didn’t work in fixing ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC then continue to the next fix.
Solution 8: Contact Support
If none of the above solutions worked for you to solve ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC then, you can contact VLC on their official website and let them know about your problem in detail.
Solution 9: Try Another Media Player
The purpose of this solution is that sometimes it is possible that the player you are using does not support the video codecs leading to ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC.
I hope all the above solutions help you to solve ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened’ Error on VLC.
If still, you have a query feel free to share your experiences and question in the comments section below
Our Social Handles!